7 CARD STUD HI/LO
As in a regular game of 7 card stud, the Hi winner has the best poker hand. There is always a Hi winner. In 7 card stud hi/lo however there is an additional low winner. The Low winner must use 5 different cards below 9. For example, if between your two pocket and three community cards you had a hand consisting of a 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 of mixed suits, you would have a Low hand.
The primary differences between 7 Card Stud Hi/Lo and Texas Hold’em are that there can be multiple winners each player plays their own individual hand and there is no “community cards” in this game.
There is also a maximum of 8 players that can sit in one 7 Card Stud game at a time due to the amount of cards used.
7 Card Hi/Lo Stud Gameplay:
- Ante Up: As opposed to blinds players placed antes in order for the winner to be guaranteed a pot. The amount of the ante or “bring-in” is determined by what limit you choose.
- The Dealing of Hole Cards: The first two cards are dealt face down to each individual player.
- Dealing of Third Street: A third card is dealt face-up to each player. Who starts the betting is determined by the player with the lowest ranking card shown face up. Once the initial bet is placed which must be equal to the minimum table stake, other players can choose to fold, call or raise.
- Dealing of Fourth Street: A fourth card is dealt to each individual player face up.
- Second Round of Betting: The player who starts the second round of betting is determined by who has the highest ranking exposed cards.
- Dealing of Fifth Street: A fifth card is dealt to each individual player face up.
- Third Round of Betting: This round of betting proceeds like the previous round only now the high limit is mandatory. For instance in a $20/$40 limit game $40 bets are the minimum for this round of betting.
- Dealing of Sixth Street: A sixth card is dealt to each individual player face up.
- Fourth Betting Round: Betting round continues the same as the two previous rounds of betting.
- Dealing of the River: The 7th and final card is dealt to each individual player face down.
- The Final Round of Betting: Final round of betting continues the same as the three previous rounds.
- Showdown: Players showdown their cards to determine the winner of the hand. The player who shows his cards first is the last player in the hand who has made a bet or raise.
- Awarding of the Pot: The pot is divided in two and is awarded to the player (s) holding the best 5 card high hand, and the best 5 card low hand. If two players have hands of equal value (the best high hand, the best low hand), the pot is divided between them. If the same player has a combination of cards that qualify as both the best high hand and the best low hand, the entire pot is awarded to the holder of that hand.